The archaeological story of the Yorkshire Wolds is one of the most outstanding in Britain for its quality and richness.
People have lived and farmed the area for thousands of years. They have left behind many prehistoric monuments, settlements, chariot burials, Roman villas, deserted medieval villages and Anglian cemeteries. The quality of these sites can compete with any in the country for richness and importance.
Yet few people outside of the area know of their significance and fewer still visit them. The cultural heritage of the Wolds is so far untapped and has yet to contribute to the tourism and rural economic activity of the area as it could. The busy and successful farms producing food in the area today are home to many unseen archaeological sites buried beneath the soil.
York Archaeological Trust is working with Historic England and partners to learn where to focus activity and resources to develop the archaeological heritage of this unique landscape.
The Food For Thought project is a conversation about the past and future investigation of the outstanding archaeology of the Wolds. It is an opportunity for us all to learn more about archaeological discoveries made so far and to inspire the curiosity needed to find out more.
This is a chance for anyone to shape the resulting Historic England policies and plans that will help us all to protect and preserve the outstanding archaeological heritage of the Wolds.
Get involved and be part of the conversation.
To sign up for email updates to this project please click the link below:
Do you grow or make food in the Yorkshire Woods? Would you like to share your part in the heritage of food production in the area?
We would like to interview anybody who has a story to tell about food production in the Yorkshire Wolds.
If you would like to be involved in the project or would like to be interviewed by our staff and volunteers to tell your story, email firstname.lastname@example.org.
We want to know what makes the Yorkshire Wolds special for you.
As part of Food for Thought we are running a Yorkshire Wolds themed photo competition. There are two categories open to entrants: under 16s and 17+.
We want to see your favourite places, views or pastimes on the Wolds. Your pictures can be anything from the landscapes around you to the very food on your plates, as long they’re taken in the Yorkshire Wolds!
The winner will be selected on the 14th December 2018 and will receive free entry to The JORVIK Group attractions in York for a year.
Terms & Conditions
By entering the Food For Thought Photo Competition you are agreeing to the following terms and conditions:
- The promoter is York Archaeological Trust (Charity number 509060 in England and Wales, and SCO42846 in Scotland) whose registered office is at 47 Aldwark, York, YO1 7BX.
- The winning submissions will be chosen by the Food for Thought project team, and will receive free entry to The JORVIK Group of Attractions for a period of 12 months.
- The closing date for the receipt of submissions is 14th December 2018. This may be altered at the discretion of the promoter.
- Entries must be made either through sharing images publicly on Twitter or Instagram in a post containing the hashtag ‘#YorkshireWoldsHeritage’, or via email to email@example.com.
- Submitted photos may be used by York Archaeological Trust for promotion of the Food for Thought Project online or in print, and may contribute to the Historic Environment Research Strategy being produced by York Archaeological Trust on behalf of Historic England. By entering this competition, you grant York Archaeological Trust a limited license to use your image for these purposes.
- The promoter reserves the right to cancel or amend the competition and these terms and conditions without notice due to any other event outside of the promoter’s control.
- The prize is as stated and no cash or other alternatives will be offered. The prize is not transferable. We reserve the right to substitute any prize with another of equivalent value without giving notice.
Get involved with the Food for Thought project by completing our short questionnaire.
Don’t miss our upcoming events!
Food for Thought at the Beverley Food Festival
Main Square, Beverley
Sunday 7th October 9:30 to 16:30
Tasty Tales at the Treasure House
The Treasure House, Beverley
Sunday 7th October 13:30 and 15:00
The Yorkshire Wolds Heritage Showcase
The Milton Rooms, Malton
Saturday 27th October 2018 9:45 to 16:30