The Brigg 'Raft'
In 2012 the North Lincolnshire Council and the National Maritime Museum (NMM) agreed to put on display the conserved remains of the Brigg ‘Raft’.
This is a late Bronze Age flat bottomed ferry, built using planks laid edge to edge and ’sewn’ together with willow/poplar rope -passed through pre-cut holes along the edge of each plank. Lateral strengthening was provided by a series of transverse ribs cut from hazel, which passed though sockets left in upstanding ridges or cleats carved along the centre line of each plank.
First found in 1888, the vessel was reburied but re-excavated in 1974 when the surviving timbers were cut into sections and lifted. Conservation treatment was initiated by the NMM but in order to produce a displayable object, excess p.e.g. accumulations on the surface had to be cleaned away. This was carried out by the Conservation Department here in York , minor repairs completed and the individual sections reunited during installation by YAT in a purpose built display case at the former Angel Inn, Brigg. This vessel is a nationally significant find and its appearance on display after 40 years is a major achievement.