c. AD 1067 — c. 1550

Excavations at The Bedern on the site of the College of the Vicars Choral in the shadow of the Minster

After the Norman Conquest the city’s appearance was changed dramatically, especially by new royal and religious buildings. The Trust has dug on the site of many of these, including the two castles established by William the Conqueror. We have also excavated at the College of the Vicars Choral of York Minster at The Bedern, and at the great Benedictine Abbey of St Mary. We have relocated lost sites such as the medieval Jewish burial ground, the Gilbertine Priory of St Andrew, St Nicholas’s leper hospital and several parish churches. Our study of some of the burials has allowed us to learn more about the health of the medieval population.

The excavation of medieval shops, dwellings and craftsmen’s workshops has revealed more of commercial and industrial life. We have investigated the city’s finest guildhall, the Merchant Adventurers’ Hall, and many private houses. At Coffee Yard we had a special opportunity to combine archaeology, architecture and the written record when we restored a 15th century town house now known as Barley Hall.


The restored and refurnished solar (left) and great hall of 15th century Barley Hall