Working for York Archaeological Trust
Our strategy is built on our core values – the things that are fundamentally important to us and affect the way we want to work and the things we want to achieve. We are committed to:
- Making a difference in people’s lives through open access to a universal past;
- Being an open, collaborative, educational charity;
- Illuminating the past’s importance, advancing knowledge and protecting archaeology and heritage;
- Working seamlessly from archaeological investigation through to compelling public attractions and events, creating authentic, interactive, exciting opportunities for engagement and enjoyment;
- Delivering excellence and value to our clients, visitors and colleagues;
- Creating a fulfilling work and voluntary environment for everyone based on equality, honesty, mutual respect and a spirit of creativity, innovation and entrepreneurship; and
- Working sustainably and reducing our environmental impact.
If you feel these values are of importance to you, even if we are not currently advertising any positions, we would love to hear from you. Please contact Jill Tinsley on 01904 663007 or email firstname.lastname@example.org
Developing our People
The Trust is committed to help our teams and individuals learn and develop. Our overall Strategy is communicated and reviewed with all staff and reflects our vision for the Trust; to be a great place to work and volunteer providing rewarding workplace jobs and opportunities.
One of our Strategy Aims is to have skilled, trained and motivated staff and volunteers and this means developing and reviewing how we communicate, reviewing performance, develop training plans and how we reward and recognise people.
Through a company–wide commitment to a Performance Appraisal process, we can identify training needs and future aims to ensure we equip our people with role related training and clear personal objectives.
We encourage Continuous Professional Development for all roles. Within our Attractions & Events Division, we actively engage all new employees in a programme of essential training courses, including, Customer Care, Disability Awareness, Health & Safety, local Tourism Industry knowledge and on job training, to ensure our visitors get the best experience at our Attractions and events.
What rewards and benefits do employees of YAT receive?
The Trust provides its employees with a varied range of benefits and rewards:
- Company pension scheme, where both the Employee and Employer contribute.
- Childcare Vouchers, a salary sacrifice scheme.
- Annual leave entitlement on joining is 28 days, rising to 33 days after 5 years service.
- Annual Holiday purchase scheme, purchase up to 2 weeks additional holiday.
- Free Eye tests for VDU users.
- Free access our 5 York Attractions including the JORVIK Viking Centre for our employees, plus family and friends.
- 25% discount on Attractions retail goods and souvenirs.
- Discounts to Trust Events, at applicable events.
- A uniform / PPE suitable to your role.
- Travel and subsistence arrangements for staff working away.
What vacancies are currently available within YAT?
All current vacancies around the UK with the Trust are advertised here. If you need to contact us about a vacancy please contact Jill Tinsley on 01904 663007 or email email@example.com. Please also see our Frequently Asked Questions section, as this may answer some of your initial questions. To apply for a vacancy, please download the Application form, complete it and email / post it to the specified person in the relevant office. We regret that CV’s cannot be accepted. The York Archaeological Trust is committed to being an Equal Opportunities employer.
Frequently Asked Questions
- How do I find out about vacancies?
All vacancies in all offices (4 UK locations) and both Archaeology and Attractions Divisions are posted on our websites as well as locally to the area. Please look at the ‘Current Vacancies’ section here to find out more. All job adverts will have a job description to accompany them.
- How do I apply for a vacancy?
All applications for vacancies are submitted using the Application form. CV’s are not accepted. Please download the Application form, complete it, and then email it to firstname.lastname@example.org or to the specific person detailed on the job advert by the closing date. You will receive an auto response from the email@example.com email address but not an automatic receipt from a person.
- Who do I contact if I have a question about a vacancy on the website?
Either email the person detailed in the advert to who completed application forms should be sent or contact HR directly on the firstname.lastname@example.org email address.
- Can I submit a speculative Application form if there are no current vacancies?
Unfortunately, we do not accept speculative applications. So keep an eye on our vacancy pages for any upcoming roles.
- At what stage do you take up References?
We take up references when a job offer has been made and accepted.
- What documentation is needed during the recruitment process?
If you are successful, you will need to provide proof of your eligibility to work in the UK. For some other roles, you may be required to provide other documentation e.g. proof of relevant qualifications. These requirements would be made clear to you.
- When will I know about the outcome of my application?
After the closing date, selection for interviews will be made and invites to interview will be emailed / posted or made via a phone call.
- Can I request feedback?
Due to high volumes of interest, we can supply feedback only post interview. Please contact the person who you submitted your application to or email email@example.com and HR will be able to forward your enquiry onto the relevant person.
- What kind of roles are available with the York Archaeological Trust?
Please see the section on Types of Roles available at both our Archaeology & Heritage and Attractions & Events Divisions.
- Are there opportunities to volunteer with York Archaeological Trust?
York Archaeological Trust offers various volunteering opportunities. For full details visit our Volunteering section.
Learn more about what it’s like to work for York Achaeological Trust and watch some of our employees talk about their roles and their experience of working for us. The Trust employs a wide range of people from Fieldwork Officers, Conservators, Costumed re-enactors and more
Magrethe FelterMags has been working as a Conservator for 8 years. Watch the video on her thoughts about the Trust here. Video coming soon.
Arran JohnsonArran works in our fieldwork team and leads the Archaeology Live! training session. Watch his video on working for the Trust here. Video coming soon.